Northampton School for Boys Trust - Secondary Free School (11-16 years) Application
Northampton School for Boys (NSB) Academy Trust is seeking the views of members of the community as we consider making an application to set up an 11-16 mixed gender comprehensive school, with a traditional ethos and with feeder school links into the NSB Sixth Form. The proposed school will be situated on the edge of Northampton close to the A43 in Moulton and is in response to the extent of the demand for an NSB style education coupled with the Local Authority identifying the need for a new eight form entry secondary school by 2021. The school will help to ensure that there are a sufficient number of places to meet the needs of children that are already in primary education.
The proposed school would serve students in the locality of the school and across Northampton only and we would expect the school to open in September 2021. The proposed name of the school would be Northampton School and it would be part of an NSB Multi Academy Trust.
The new school would seek to emulate the culture and ethos of NSB which has enjoyed unprecedented academic and extra-curricular success in recent years with highlights including:
- In 2018, boys at NSB achieved, on average, approximately one whole GCSE grade higher per GCSE entry compared to boys of similar ability nationally. Consequently we expect NSB to be ranked in the top few percent of schools in England for boys' academic progress this year
- NSB continues to be one of the top two performing secondary schools in Northamptonshire for all 3 GCSE academic national key performance indicators for attainment - the highest grade average per GCSE entry, the highest percentage of students achieving Grade 5+ in English and Mathematics and the highest percentage of students achieving the EBacc (English, mathematics, science, history or geography and a foreign language at Grade 5/C and above)
- NSB is ranked as the number one state school for competitive sport in England and has been 3 times in the last 4 years
- NSB is nationally acclaimed for expressive arts, including for its provision in art, music, dance and drama
- In 2017 NSB was awarded the National Educational Establishment of the Year award for England at the ERA national awards ceremony
NSB has achieved these outstanding levels of success through its focus on the following areas which would be replicated in the Free School:
- A rigorous academic curriculum for students of all abilities where classes are streamed, with flexible movement between sets according to student performance
- A culture of high expectations and disciplined student behaviour
- A supportive and caring environment
- Opportunities for all students to enjoy a wide breadth and depth of extra-curricular activities
NSB's approach to the curriculum, policies, management and talent management staffing structure would be mirrored by the Free School as it grows. To support the embedding of NSB's unique culture into the new school, it is expected that experienced staff from relevant curriculum areas at NSB will work weekly with staff at the Free School to help establish a rich NSB ethos.
We are presently consulting on the level of support for this Free School application and would be grateful if you could complete the short questionnaire which can be accessed through the button below.